Rohit Gurunath Sharma is a 33 years old Indian cricket player. Currently, he is the captain of the leading IPL team Mumbai Indians. He is a right-handed batsman, known for his amazing batting skills.
He plays domestic as well as International cricket representing team India. He is a right-arm off-break bowler but bowls occasionally.
Apart from IPL, he is the vice-captain of the Indian team. He started playing for Indian in the year 2007.
- He was born in Nagpur city of Maharashtra. In the year 1999, he participated in a cricket camp. Looking at his potential, the coach advised him to change school for better opportunities.
- As he cannot afford the school, he studied on a sports scholarship. He started as an off-spinner, but his coach pushed him to become a batsman.
Test Match Performance
- Rohit Sharma made his test debut in the year 2013. It was Tendulkar’s last test series. His first match was against West Indies, in which he scored 177 runs.
- In the year 2017, he stopped playing test cricket but came back the next year. He has played 32 test matches in which is score is 2,141 runs. He has taken only two wickets in the Test series.
ODI Match Performance
- He started his ODI career in the year 2007. The first match was against Ireland. As he was 7th in order to play, he did not get to perform because India won the match.
- His ODI career went smooth after that. However, in the year 2012, his performance reached an all-time low. Dhoni trusted him to play the 2013 season in which his performance improved tremendously.
- Out of all the match series, he has played most of the ODI matches. In 224 ODI matches, he made 9,115 runs and took eight wickets.
T20 Match Performance
- In the year 2007 Sharma stared playing T20 match series. In the quarter-finals, he made 50 runs from 40 balls and led India to the finals.
- In 2015, he made 106 runs in a single match. He has played 108 T20 matches in which he scored, 2,773 runs and took one wicket.
World Cup Performance
- Sharma was a part of 2015 as well as the 2019 world cup. In the first world cup, he played only eight matches. India lost to Australia in the semi-finals.
- In the 2019 world cup, he played the role of vice-captain. In the 2019 world cup, he scored five centuries. He got the golden bat award for his excellent performance during the world cup.
- He started playing for Deccan Chargers but was later bought by Mumbai Indians in the year 2011. In the year 2012, he scored the first century.
- He became the captain in the year 2013 and ever since then; the team has won nearly 4 IPL seasons. He is the third-highest scorer in the IPL. His amazing leadership skills have led Mumbai Indians towards several victories.
- In the current IPL season, Mumbai Indians hold the top position. If this continues, Sharma will lead the team to another IPL victory.